Tuesday, September 2, 2008

walking tour!



Shannon River and Limerick City.

Slit Hole in the Castle where they shot arrows out. King John's Castle was originally not for just residing purposes but for the army.




Limerick Streets


It was cold and rainy... 


Beautiful View

The Shannon River.

Yesterday we had our API Orientation and walking tour of Limerick. It was a very fun day and helped me to feel a little more hopeful about being in Ireland. At our orientation I learned all about the classes I will take and such, nothing really eventful. Although I had been very concerned about not fitting in with the older kids but now I am called the baby and everyone is very nice to me and helpful. 
First in our walking tour we went to King John's Castle. It was beautiful to actually see a castle even though parts of it had be
en refurbished for tourist

Me in the stocks.

.
This is Rocky from my group standing in front of part of the castle.

Unfortunately, my camera died at this point so I got no pictures of our other destinations. Next we went to St. Mary's Cathedral. It was so beautiful. There were so many beautiful sculptures and paintings that were almost breathtaking. Plus the architecture of the building was incredible. But what I loved the most was the stained-glass windows.
The Hunt Museum was also very interesting. My two favorite places where the weapons and the jewelry. I kept thinking about the people that had used them before and what their story was. Also the crucifix room was quite interesting. There are so many different views of God and Jesus. Out of all of the sculptures and paintings no two where the same.
For the rest of the day we went to different stores and just walked around the Limerick shopping area. I was able to buy bathroom rugs thankfully and close hangers were given to me free. 
Then finally at night my whole API group went to the pub on campus for all the students. It was fun although there were not a lot of people there yet because school doesn't start till monday. I was able to meet several very nice Irish folk, who all loved my southern accent.... even though I never thought I had one.

3 comments:

The Raffray Family said...

I love reading your blog, i can feel a book coming from this experiance. I feel like I am there with you. Email me your address, i have some bags to send you for shopping

The Raffray Family said...

Hey my email address in eraffray@bellsouth.net just use your bellsouth email address, you can got to bellsouth.net to log in check it

lauren said...

hey girl! i added you as my friend on my blog so i can stay updated with your trip! i hope that you have a great time and we will see you when you get back!